Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Vintage Cocktails



I haven’t been inspired much lately to make specialty cocktails. Simple classic cocktails like the tried and true vodka soda have been my drink of choice. 

I had a friend visiting from the States last week and she graciously arrived with a hostess gift, a fabulous book on vintage cocktails! My new Vintage Cocktails book has re-inspired me to go beyond the classics to vintage cocktails, which the book by Brian Van Flandern defines as drinks that “conjure images of specific places in time when a particular cocktail gained global popularity. “

Since I’ve got a big bushel of mint overgrowing in my herb garden, mint drinks are up to bat first, the Whiskey Smash.

Also, simple syrup and lemons are in almost every cocktail so if you’re making cocktails be sure to have both on hand.

Whiskey Smash
- Created for Bemelmans Bar by Dale DeGroft

2oz. Bulleit Bourbon or any Whiskey you choose
1oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
1oz. Simple Syrup
Handful of Fresh Mint


1. Add ingredients into a shaker with mint leaves and muddle until leaves are deeply bruised.

2. Strain out leaves, add ice and shake vigorously.

3. Strain into an ice-filled rocks class, garnish with lemon wedge or mint sprig.

The finished product below. Cocktail snobs, don't kill me for using a stemless wine glass!


Notes: Bottled lemon juice is okay, but fresh is always best. Try a flavored simple syrup to give the drink a different twist. Keep it to a mild flavor, such as rosemary infused simple syrup (I used vanilla bean), so the flavors blend together nicely instead of competing with each other. 


No comments: